Mission of Berkeley Adult School
The mission of the Berkeley Adult School is to provide adult learners with equal access to learner-centered lifelong education in a safe, supportive multicultural environment.
• Providing quality education since 1881.
• Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
• Our mission is to ensure that adult learners have equal access to learner-centered education and training as a lifelong process in a cohesive, supportive and multicultural environment.
• We offer a wide variety of courses to address the needs and interests of our diverse community.
Student Learning Outcomes
All students will:
• Identify and achieve personal goals
• Practice respect of diversity
• Build self-confidence
• Demonstrate effective communication
• Develop and practice analytical thinking skills
• Be lifelong learners
Adult Education at its Best
Berkeley Adult School offers low-cost classes in several different categories:
• The Academic Department offers classes in science, social studies, English, arts, and math for those seeking a high school diploma. Special support and advising is available for students seeking a GED certificate.
• The Career Technical Education Department (CTE) offers courses in office skills, computer applications, health-related occupational training, and other employment areas. Classes are open to all students. Special services and programs are available for job-seekers.
• The English As a Second Language Department offers several levels of ESL, English pronunciation, citizenship and academic courses.
• Community Education (Fee-Based) Classes include dance, languages and more. Many fee-based community classes have online registration available.
• Check the Saturday listings for short, one-day workshops. Some are introductions to longer courses (the computer classes), and others are community education classes like CPR/First Aid, GED testing, traffic school, and acupressure.
• The Offsite Department courses are held in various locations around the East Bay, and include lifelong-learning for adults 50 and over, classes that enhance the quality of life for disabled persons, and classes that address the needs of the frail elderly.
• We also offer Traffic Violators School.
Special Programs and Services
• Check out the agencies page for information on BAS partner programs serving a variety of needs in the community.